Sunday, October 14, 2012

Eating Clean

Prepare yourself for a post that doesn't center around my kids...amazing! Who would have thought that was possible!
A few years ago Ed and I decided to change the way we eat. We were lazy (okay, we still are), went out to eat a lot, ordered pizza a lot, and generally ate a lot of food that wasn't so good for us. And while that worked out okay when we were in our early 20s we knew as we moved into our 30s that we needed to take better care of ourselves and teach our kids how to eat right. We read a few books like The Omnivores Dilemma and Food Rules and watched some movies like Food, Inc and Forks Over Knives that really made is want to change our ways. We started by adding more vegetables and eating less meat, we buy organic when we can (especially when it comes to foods on the dirty dozen list), and have focused on eating "real" foods. It's definitely taken some time to get used to and train our taste buds to like certain foods. The biggest challenge for me was finding new healthy recipes that consist of whole foods. We all have our favorite meals and a lot of ours consisted of "cream of something" canned soups, white pasta and rice and maybe a vegetable or two. I have been able to convert a lot of our recipes into more healthy meals and have added quite a few new recipes to the mix.
I would like to say we eat this way 100% of the time, but that's just not feasible.  We still indulge in our favorite not-so-good-for-you dishes, down a McDonald's cheeseburger and fries, and order pizza. We just try to make those occasions a treat. I also don't make my own bread/pasta/tortillas/etc that some people do. I do the best I can and I can certainly feel the difference when I stay on track.
If you are looking for some "clean-eating" recipes you can try some recipes on Once a Month Mom (we have tried some of the recipes on the whole food and vegetarian menus - the whole food menus have a lot of meat and the vegetarian menu can have a lot of processed foods so I just pick and choose). You used to be able to download all of the month's recipes for free, but now they are charging. You can still click on each menu item and read the recipe though. Mel's Kitchen Cafe is also a great site(she has great dinners...and some yummy desserts that don't really follow the "clean eating" plan). I have also found some great recipes on Pinterest and Smitten Kitchen.
Here are a few of my favorites:
Freezer Burritos
Garlic and Thyme Quinoa Patties (don't fry them like they say, I just spray my griddle with a little olive oil and cook on there)
Little Quinoa Patties (similar to the ones above but not as many ingredients)
Black Bean and Sweet Corn Quinoa Salad
Banana Oat Muffins (I just use half the brown sugar and add about a 1/4 C. honey and switch the amounts for white and wheat flour - Greyson gobbles these up so I make them in a double batch and keep them in the freezer.)
Give 'em a try!
(As I am finishing this post I am trying to ignore the fact that we had a few of our friends over for brunch this morning and devoured baked cinnamon french toast that was loaded with sugar and butter...it was sooo yummy!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment