Wednesday, December 5, 2012

No Good Terrible Very Bad Day

There are days when the sun is shining, my children are smiling, my husband is happy, my house is clean and the laundry is done, dinner is cooking on the stove and, as silly as it is, I feel like this little life I am living with Ed and my babies is the best thing in the world.

Monday was not one of the days.

The day started fine, but by noon I was ready to throw in the towel. We have been re-potty training G (he was doing great but after getting sick a little while ago he wasn't going consistently) and things were progressing wonderfully with the help of a big (and expensive) Buzz Lightyear toy that we used as bribery. It worked like a charm and G had earned enough stickers on his chart to finally take it down from on top of the fridge and play with it. He was SO excited and couldn't contain his joy. As a parent, seeing my son so thrilled with something is the best thing ever....until he decided to take his new toy and give him a bath. So that expensive new toy lasted for about 2 hours before it stopped working. G was sad and so were we.
We have been working on a few projects around our house and I left a tray of paint on the counter so I could touch up some cabinets I had been painting. Stupid, I know. You see where this is going, don't you. I was putting Lela down for a nap when I heard a little voice from the kitchen say, "Don't worry mommy. I not doin' nothing!"  I ran to the kitchen to see my little boy painting white paint on my not-white kitchen walls. How can you get mad when you left the paint out and your little boy tells you, "Look Mommy! I fixin' the wall like daddy!"
An hour or so later I was sitting on the couch feeding Lela when a little voice from the kitchen yelled for help. I put Lela down and ran into the kitchen to see G with an open bottle of superglue dumped all over his hands. I didn't even realize we had superglue in one of the kitchen drawers but G was lucky enough to find it. I whisked him to the sink and rinsed of the glue as best as I could, all the while yelling  telling him to keep his fingers apart. I figured dealing with dried superglue on skin would be easier than figuring out what to do with stuck-together fingers. As I was washing off his hands (and getting superglue on my hands at the same time) I thought to myself how this day couldn't possibly get any worse.

And then G did a little #2 in his pants.

So, Monday was a no good terrible very bad day. Pretty awful, in fact. But, white paint can be painted over, toys are just toys (and Buzz miraculously started working again), super glue came off and thankfully fingers weren't stuck together and G is doing great in the potty department. Today will be a better day. The sun is (kind of ) shining, my children and husband are happy and I still love this little life I am living.

No comments:

Post a Comment